Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Weird Wednesday! Depeche Mode Baby

I love Depeche Mode! I have loved them ever since I first remember being introduced to their music back in the summer of 1995 while staying in Germany with my friend Anna. The first album I purchased was "Songs of Faith and Devotion" which is still one of my favorites. When my cell phone rings, part of the song "Enjoy the Silence" plays, which is ironic because I'm busy enjoying the song instead of any silence. The dulcet tones of David Gahan just make me smile.

But lately, I've been thinking about the the song "The Policy of Truth." And right now, I'm not worrying anything about what the song might actually mean or what hundreds of other people think it means. I'm focusing on one specific stanza with one question in mind (that we'll get to later):

"It's too late to change events
It's time to face the consequence
For delivering the proof
In the policy of truth"


Someone in this song has made a bad decision. Sometimes it's really hard to tell the truth if we're afraid we will disappoint another person. Some people think maybe a little white lie won't hurt a soul. But sadly, there are people on this green planet that think lying is just as natural as breathing and will lie to you every day in every way.  

So back to that question: What's your policy of truth? 

Do you believe it's okay to lie to someone if you think you're sparing their feelings down the road? Or are you keeping something hidden that you need to unburden yourself of desperately? Or maybe you're the type that just doesn't care how many times you lie, who gets in the way or who gets hurt?

Personally, I think getting the hurt out of the way and just telling the truth in the first place is hard, but the best plan. It saves time and feelings (guilt on your part and betrayal on the part of the other party involved) in the long run.  

Having to face up to the truth of sin to others is one of the hardest things for a person to do. I know this first hand. Having to tell my parents, church, but most importantly, God,  that I was pregnant and unmarried at the age of 18 was so painful. It's still hard to think about. But one thing I know for sure is that I took that to God, begged forgiveness, and was forgiven. Matthew 26:28 tells us:

"For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

Remember John 3:16, "For God loved the world so much, He gave His only son" Love like that doesn't grow on trees. 

Paul tells us in 1 Cor. 13:4-7 that:

"Love is patient and kind; loves does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or due. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

The end of verse six tells us the the greatest of all things "does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth." Now I'm sure you're thinking, 'Um, yeah, but no one's happy when something painful is told or thrown in their face!' But that's where you're wrong. Because verse seven tells us that love bears, believes, hopes, and endures all things. 

Now, when we bear our soul to Christ and ask forgiveness and tell him the truth, He gives it, but at the price of His blood shed on the cross of you and me. Ephesians 1:7 tells us:

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace."

And John 14:6:

"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

He is the way, truth and life and without Him, I won't see Heaven. So what about you? Are you ready to face up and revise your policy of truth? 

No comments:

Post a Comment