Monday, August 20, 2012

"I'm so goth, I sacked Rome!"

Everything You Need to Know About the Goth Scene (The Need to Know Library)So I found this book the other day in the library and certainly got a good laugh out of it!

Most of the pictures are grainy and evidently "The Cure" is one of the most popular goth bands ever. And according to the fashion chapter, I'm officially a goth. The only thing I'm missing is a white, puffy poet shirt. However....

According to all the reviews, especially on www.awfullibrarybooks.net this book is a terrible non-fiction resource for the goth scene. It's more of a book to make parents feel better that their child is dressing in black. Thank goodness my parents didn't have to worry about my clothes being too short, just a little too dark. :)

But all this got me to thinking. I've had quite a few people I've met for the first time lately asking me what it's like to be a goth or "goff" in one person's case. And honestly, I don't really know, because as I said in my first post, I don't really see myself that way. I just see me as the unique person God made me to be. David tells God in Psalm 139:14

"I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." (ESV)

I thank Him every day for all the wonderful things He has made in my world. God made in His image, so even though I dress in black with skulls and skeletons everywhere, I am still His child clothed in His salvation as Isaiah tells us in chapter 61:10:

"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed my with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels."

I was a little shocked that someone asked a friend of mine if I could tell him about paganism. I know, I know: 'That's what you should expect dressing the way to do,' is was a lot of people would say. However, since I try (try being the key word here) not to be the judging type, again I was shocked. My friend however, was very sweet and said "She may look the part on the outside, but her heart is far from anything like that." 

It made me smile to know that those around me know that I seek God, even though I dress a little weirdly at times. But there are also times that my feeling are hurt when I overhear someone say that I'm a weirdo or have a person tell me that I'm "twisted and a freak." God loves me just as much as He loves those people and so everyday, I try to love them with the love of Jesus. So it's been nice to have the following challenge offered at my church.

We are currently being challenged (Bethany's Challenge, see below) to do something on purpose and one of mine is to be on here more often, sharing how God is working in my life, even if it seems as though it's in a different sort of way. Book reviews are also going to be coming along with more recipes and Weird Wednesdays.  Thanks for hanging in there with me, even though I've let life get in the way a little lately. 

You can find more information on Bethany's Challenge at 
https://www.facebook.com/Bethanyschallenge

Hope you all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment