Sunday, April 29, 2012

I wanna be the girl on fire!




I love "The Hunger Games" series as you all know, mostly because Katniss is such a strong character.  She is consumed with taking care of her family, that she will do anything to return to them. She has to work with what she can come across in the forest, not what is so readily available in the Capitol. So, I got to thinking over the last few weeks what being a "girl on fire" would be like, and it turns out a little like this. 
Have you ever been so jealous of some one that the thought of what they have consumes you? Well, God's just like that. He wants our full attention at all times. Yes we have families, jobs, book clubs, etc., but we should keep our focus on Him and not let the little things get in the way of Him and what He wants for us. 
Deuteronomy 4:24 (ESV) says,
 "For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."
and Hebrews 12:29 (ESV) further states, 
 "for our God is a consuming fire."
He is so jealous, for us, that He can consume us whole. If I want to be a girl on fire, I need to let God consume everything within me that is unworthy to Him. I also need to be purified with that same fire so that I am living for Him in everything I do. 
Fire also helps certain seeds germinate and give new life to forests after forest fires. It gives the land a clean start. 
Deuteronomy 32:22
“For a fire is kindled by my anger, and it burns to the depths of Sheol, devours the earth and its increase, and sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.”
This passage tells us that fire is born of God’s anger. If it has the power to devour the earth, everything in it and the foundations of the mountains, image the cleansing power it can have on your soul. 
Letting God have control and allowing Him to burn everything bad away certainly gives the term “girl on fire” a new meaning doesn’t it?


No comments:

Post a Comment