Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What's immortality got to do with it?

Vampires have always been my favorite mythical creature. They're mysterious, normally they're attractive, and wear lots of black. They've just always fascinated me. However, one of the main reasons (I'll get back to some others eventually) I would never want to be one (as if that's actually possible anyway) is their immortality.

'What? You wouldn't want to live forever and be young and beautiful always?!" you may be asking right now. But, no, I would not. If given the opportunity even if by the fountain of youth, I wouldn't take it. I like family and friends too much to sit around and watch them get older and slowly disappear from my life. It's like Rosalie remarks in 'Eclipse' you're always stuck, never moving forward.

Adam and Eve tried to gain knowledge like God has by eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. They were lead astray by thoughts of being as intelligent as God and it got them nothing but sorrow and heartache.When they made that choice, sin and death were released into the world. In Genesis 3:22 the Lord comments on what might have happened if they ate of the Tree of Life.

Genesis 3:22 (ESV)

22 Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—”

Besides, Paul reminds us in Titus 1:1-2 that we have already been promised eternal life:

Titus 1-2:6 (ESV)

"1 Paul, a servant[a] of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness, in hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began..."

And again in Romans 6:23  and John 3:16 (which are two of my favorite verses):


Romans 6:23 (ESV)

23  For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.


John 3:16 (ESV)

16 “For God so loved the world,[a] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

See! Why would I need to drink the blood of a crusty old vampire (again, nowhere in the real world is this ever going to happen) to gain eternal life, when I have already been promised this by God.

 So in the end who needs to be a vampire? Not me, I already have an immortal soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment