Saturday, March 24, 2012

What Makes Me Goth Anyway?

The whole idea of my blog started when my preacher, Mike, commented on the fact that I am the perfect mix of goth and Christian. I've always seen myself as who I am, me. That is how God made me after all. Others however see the black hair and eye shadow, the skeleton shirts and black sweater, (I could go on but won't) and think 'scary girl walking.' I know this by the look on their faces. Does it bother me? Sometimes yes, most of the time, no. So what makes a goth anyway?

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_subculture, goths attire themselves in the "Styles of dress within the subculture range from deathrock, punk and Victorian style attire, or combinations of the above, most often with dark attire, makeup and hair."

OK, so you've got me on the dark attire, makeup, and hair...anything else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths says "The first recorded incursion of Goths into the Roman Empire took place in 238. Goths were subsequently heavily recruited into the Roman Army to fight in the Roman-Persian Wars, notably participating at the Battle of Misiche in 242."

Well, I'm definitely not that type of goth. I'm not that old and I've never been to Rome. I do own a shirt that says "Real Goths don't wear black, they sack Rome." So maybe close on that account.

So what makes me a "goth after God's heart?" My love of black clothes and the macabre make me weird, but it's my love of Christ that makes me stand out. Acts 13:22 (www.biblegateway.com) tells us that David was a man after God's heart.

Acts 13:22

English Standard Version (ESV)
22 And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king, of whom he testified and said, ‘I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will.’

This is the type person I strive to be in life. A person after God's heart. I seek to do His will on a daily basis. This is where being a Goth comes into play for me. Because I dress a certain way, people expect me to be "evil, follow the devil, and be creepy" (yes those are terms applied to me in the past.) But when I tell them I'm a christian, they flinch and ask "How?!" Because He whom I love and serve first loved me.  John 3:16 (www.biblegateway.com) tells me this plainly:

John 3:16

English Standard Version (ESV)

For God So Loved the World

16 “For God so loved the world,[a] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."
 So I guess with my love of both the goth attire and my love for my Savior, Jesus Christ, I truly am a good mix of both worlds and that makes me a goth after God's own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment