Thursday, January 3, 2013

You Really Have a Wonderful Life

Every year, I watch "It's a Wonderful Life" on Christmas Eve with my family. Sometimes I cheat and watch it at other times throughout the year when I need a pick me up, but it has always been one of my favorite movies. The simple story of a man who gives his all to others while giving up his personal dreams of his future gets me every time.

While watching the movie this last Christmas, my fourteen year old made a comment along the lines of me reminding her of George Bailey when he looses his temper after finding out about the missing $8,000 dollars. She said I seem irritated like him sometimes, (not that she means anything bad by that). But that got me to thinking, what kind of impression am I making on my children if I allow my temper to break loose on those that I love? Instead, I should be teaching them to deal with something rationally and in a Biblical manner.

According to IMDB.com "George Bailey is a man who has great ambitions, but things don't seem to go quite right for. He is selfless and honorable." We see many examples of his selflessness throughout the film. One of the most powerful for me was when George gave his college money to his younger brother Harry, because he had to stay and run the Building and Loan after the sudden death of his father.

The Bible tells us in Philippians 2:3 "Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves."

We should be striving to help others through their life journeys, not just looking out for ourselves.

He was also a very honorable man. George had such great plans for his future. All his friends had already graduated and were making names for themselves, but he knew where he was needed and more importantly WHO needed him and couldn't say no to staying in Bedford Falls.

Romans 12:17 tells us "Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all."

So here's my New Year's resolution. This year I am striving to be a more honorable and selfless person. To teach my children the "JOY" method: Jesus, Others, Yourself. And also to remind myself that most things are not worth getting mad over (especially since I didn't misplace $8,000.00). Because raising my children in a happy environment, as opposed to an anger poisoned one, will further their walk with Christ. And that walk my good peeps makes it a truly wonderful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment