Monday, May 21, 2012

Dentophobia

And what is dentophobia you might ask? It is the irrational fear that I suffer from on a near monthly basis. Ever since I was a small child, I have had severe dental problems. When a new tooth would grow in, I'd already have a cavity in it in need of repair. I grew up dreaming that I could be one of the kids listed on the wall that had a clean check-up. However, this was not to be.


I've had dental work done in the past, only to have it stripped out and replaced by a new dentist and then reliving that same nightmare a second time when I finally met Dr. C. You want to talk about a dentist who knows his stuff? Well, it's him. He completely understands my fears and knows when it's a good day and when it's a bad day. How many of your dentists can do that? Once, when I was taking four anti-biotic pills a day for a spider bite, I happened to get really sick and had a hard time eating anything. Needless to say, I lost a little bit of weight. I happened to see him a week after treatment ended and he had the compassion to ask if there was anything going on in my life that we needed to talk about. It meant a lot to me that he had noticed something might be going on. Not to mention he got me flossing everyday to protect my heart and told me that soda has an ingredient that eats the calcium in your bones, so I ended up giving up soda one and a half years ago.


Okay, so all of this is great, and I really don't mean to brag, but you're wondering at this point, where is she going with this?


Well, today I had to go and have a filling in one of my canines and even though I though I thought I was prepared, I wasn't. I sat down only to be informed that I was not seeing my dentist, but a Dr. Lady Something was filling in for him. WHAT?!? And then to top it off, when I turned on my iPod, I was shocked to learn that there was no charge, so no music to drown out the drills. AHHHHHHH! Dr. C came in to check on me and offered me his iPod to use because he knows I need music to survive my ordeal, only I decided to brave it with God's help. And I made it just fine! And let me tell you why. ..


The whole time I was sitting there, all I could think was " I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13


I prayed the whole time I was in that chair, then I got home and got to thinking, Dr. C. is someone who looks out for my well being, not just my teeth. The Bible also says something about this. "I will set shepherds over them who will care for them, and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall any be missing, declares the Lord." Jeremiah 23:4. 


This passage is talking about God coming back to gather His remnant, but He also places shepherds over us to guide us when we aren't sure which path to take. 


God being our number one shepherd tells us in Proverbs 3:6, "In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."


So while I'm not comparing Dr. C. to God or trying to put them on the same level, I now know after 19 years of damaging my ear drums to kill the sound of dental drills, I have proven to myself that I can make it on my own because God is a my side, and I have an earthly guardian to get me through my appointment. Thanks Dr. C.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment